Sunday, August 31, 2008

Back to Skool! ;)

It is my usual lazy saturday morning, my mind wants to get up and get ready, but body always in disagreement with mind, decides to stay in the same position intact. The early morning breeze, was trying hard to wake my sleepy curtains, and the golden sun, who is also lazy in Blore, helps his friend by peeping through the window sill and wishing me good morning!. I then unwillingly decide to get up and check the clock, only to find that it was 8.30 already. As usual I jump out of the bed, and rush to get ready as I do not want to be late to school.I play the role of a teacher now. On my way, I am wondering if "Zubair" ( the cute kid, who is very mischievous, but who escapes from the punishment by showing his innocent smile, which will make you feel, "definitely not him. paavam kid" ) will remember me, as it is three weeks since I went to school. I decide to be prepared for the worst, and tell myself," don't show it on your face if he cant recognize you". I reach the school and walk to the classroom. As, I stand at the entrance of the classroom, Zubair sees me and runs to the entrance to hold my hand, just like he would do when he sees his Mom. I am equally elated, and I too feel like a responsible Mom, and sit in a kutti chair next to him, planning to teach him many words today. As I sit, there are couple of other kids who swarm me, and wanted to show their classwork notes. While I tell them to keep up their good work, I could see the pride on their faces, and others could see a glee on my face, as I feel good have taken the role of a teacher( though it is just for two hours a week) instead of strolling around the corridors of already bulging malls, with a crowd I can't relate to most of the time ( this is a mutual feeling, as they will feel the same looking at me :) ), and end up stepping on someones feet all the time asking for an excuse, or wasting three hours on a movie, munching a popcorn, and waiting for the movie to get over, as most of the time, I can't appreciate anything else other than the confidence and guts of the producer, who thought this soap will be a hit and dreamed about buying a huge bungalow in the already crowded metros, a plush car imported from the country he would have wanted to go for a vacation and also fetch a chance to produce a few more similar nonsense (I don't deny there are many good movies, and that I don't consider it a waste of time, watching them) . After a minute of reflection, I start working with the kids on words, they had learnt that week. As I dictate a word, Zubair makes a mistake, and is not proceeding, as he is searching for his eraser, I ask him to score it out,but He doesn't agree. He then picks an eraser from his friend's desk and erases the letter in such a way that the page almost tore, and since the eraser was not doing his task properly, Zubair is punishing him by rubbing on the desk (I remember doing the same, when I was a kid), after so much of struggle, he manages to complete the word. For the next question, he wants to partition the page into two halves and hence wants a ruler this time. Thankfully, he has it and I don't have to mediate between both the friends this time. Now, Mr.perfect adjusts the scale, to keep it straight, but unfortunately, like for all kids the line ends up being cross. I see the winsome smile on his face now for having achieved an almost straight line. But next comes the difficult part, I dictate a word, for which he doesn't know the spelling, he uses his cute smile as the weapon this time, I fall for it, and help him with the spelling. It is time for a break by now, and I am asked to judge and choose the best three cards from the entries of the card-making competition held last week in the same school. I must admit that it is the toughest task assigned ever. Almost all of them are amazing and impeccable. I am spellbound and confounded on which one to choose. As I have to make the final decision, I picked out a card which said "Happy Teacher's day". While doing this, I grouch myself, for having forgotten that it is just another five days for what used to be one of the most awaited celebrations of the year in my school, when I was a kid. I drift in my old memories, which makes me feel nostalgic.

Those were the days, when

* I managed to get false headaches on all days from a month before the exam, You don't need to check the calendar. (It is the same now, the slight difference is that my manager will get real headache a month before my deliverable :))

* I feared going to school with an unclean shoe. (I am more than happy to go ofc with my dirty shoes and torn slip-ons. I give a damn abt it )

* I woke up and slept on time. ( I don't even work for fixed timings, I go to ofc and come back as I like :))

* Any score less than 100, made me feel like such a loser. ( No bug - I feel something is terribly wrong with the code)

* Eating out in a restaurant happened rarely. ( Eating at home now happens rarely)

* You are forgiven for all your mistakes ( Now, even a small mistake is considered to be a crime)

* Best of all, you knew You will in 4th standard next year, when you were in 3rd std. ( Now, I really duno were I will be forget next year, even next month)

* You trust everyone. ( You tend to doubt ppl. if you don't - you are stupid, and have to grow up)

* You get excited when it rains, to see a train, on seeing full moon, Animals, festivals,flowers, ice creams and other kids too. ( If you do the same now, u r weird)

* You can cry at anywhere ( You cant do it now :()

of course, there are a few things which haven't changed yet,

* Love and care of and for Friends & Family........... :)

* Scoldings from Mom :) ( am still a useless kid according to Mom :) )

* I still enjoy every small thing in life.

All this apart, aren't we really missing our childhood days. Am sure for all of us, it would have been some of the best days of our lives. But now, most of us have lost the kid in us, a few of us who haven't, are forced to change, as you don't want to be different, and fear to be looked on like a museum piece.


P.S

* Zubair and other kids I wrote about are from a school for deaf kids. But, they are very talented, caring and amazing. I got a chance to attend a painting competition for a group of these kids and a few more normal kids. Believe me, these kids proved that they are just physically challenged, but their creativity is still at its best. You can see the proof yourself here (The pics haven't come out great, as I tried weird things with my camera :( ).

* I dedicate this post to all my teachers. They have been very motivating and supportive. But, it is a sad truth that in India teachers are still underpaid and under-recognized for their noble contribution.It is not a surprising fact that we still have shortage for teachers. May be it is because of the fact that it is not an attractive profession, so people hardly want to choose it. I think it should be made alluring. ( life has made me think that, glamour is required even for a humble, selfless profession like this :( ).
( Teachers include my managers whom I have worked with, who mentored me. (dedication part ) )

" Wish you all a happy Teacher' s day! "

* I wanted to write something else but ended up with this :(. I am too lazy to type more now
:( will come up with another post sooooon :)


No comments: